Looking for a fun kitchen activity with the kids? Take a cue from Chef Kieron who often entertains his two sons with fun recipes in their home kitchen. His homemade jelly bean recipe was recently a huge hit with the boys, especially when the rock tumbler came out to help smooth their jelly beans to perfection. Take a peek at the step-by-step recipe below!
- Jelly bean molds (available on Amazon)
- Digital thermometer
- Rock tumbler, optional (available on Amazon)
- 500g (2 cups) cornstarch
- 108g (7.2 tbsp) sugar
- 40g (2.5 tbsp) water
- 20g (4 tsp) glucose syrup
- 5g (1 tsp) cornstarch
- Food coloring and flavoring of your choice
- Caster sugar (or superfine sugar)
- Use the cornflour to make the molds for the jelly beans.
- Mix together the sugar and cornflour until smooth then add the water and syrup. Heat to 245F (we recommend using a candy thermometer).
- Pour into the molds and leave to cool for at least a couple of hours (or preferably overnight).
- Sift off the cornflour.
- Coat with Corn Syrup then make a mix of food colouring and flavoring.
- Then dust with sugar.
- Repeat as needed no more than 3 times.
- Place in rock tumbler with 50g sugar for 4-6 hours.
- Then remove and dust off excess sugar. Add grated beeswax and tumble for up to 2 days.