Chef Kieron’s homemade butterscotch pudding recipe is sweet, salty and just plain delicious. Treat yourself with this delightful dessert!
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Cinnamon and marshmallows (optional)
- In a saucepan, heat cream over moderately low heat until warm.
- While cream is heating, in a heavy saucepan melt butter over moderate heat and stir in brown sugar. Cook sugar mixture, stirring occasionally, until mixture is bubbling all over and appears smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully add warm cream (mixture will bubble and steam) and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until sugar mixture is dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat.
- In a large metal bowl or in the top of a double boiler, whisk together milk, yolks, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add warm butterscotch mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly, and set bowl or top of double boiler over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Cook pudding, whisking constantly, 10 minutes, or until it begins to thicken.
- Cover bowl or top of double boiler and cook pudding, whisking occasionally, 10 minutes more.
- Remove bowl or top of double boiler from pan and cool, whisking occasionally, cover the mixture with a layer of saran wrap and place in the fridge.
- Dust lightly with cinnamon and garnish with a marshmallow (optional).